Some of the questions that Cliverton are asked most often are below. If you can’t find the answer to a question you have about your insurance please call our office on 01328 857921 or via our Contact Us page and we will be pleased to help.

What is public liability cover?

This will cover you should a third party wish to make a claim against you (sue you) where you are responsible for causing either injury to a third party or damage to their property.

I am not a business. Do I need insurance?

If you provide any service in exchange for payment, you are acting as a business. Although Public Liability insurance is not a legal requirement, it is recommended that you have this cover because you can be held personally liable for causing any damage or injury during the course of your business activities.

I only have voluntary and/or self-employed helpers. Do I need Employers’ Liability?

Yes, it is a legal requirement that you have Employers’ Liability to cover them in case they are injured. Even if somebody is not an official employee, they could still sue you if they suffer an injury whilst working under your instruction.

Can my friends help me?

Yes they can, however, it is a legal requirement to have Employers’ Liability cover in case they are injured. Even if somebody is a voluntary helper and not being paid, they could still sue you if they were injured whilst helping you.

What should I do if I need to make a claim?

If an incident has occurred; even if no claim will be made, please either contact our office on 01328 857921 or go to the claim section of our website. One of our team will then talk you through the process and assist where they can

What is an excess?

An excess is the first part of any claim which you have to pay.

What happens if an animal I am looking after bites a member of the public?

This would be covered by your Public Liability insurance as a third-party injury.

Do I need Professional Indemnity cover?

Only if you are giving professional advice or services for a separate fee. If you are in any doubt, please call us on 01328 857921.

Am I allowed to exercise dogs off the lead?

Yes, providing that you are happy and comfortable to do so and have the owner’s written consent.

Am I covered if I get hurt?

No, but if you should require cover for this, we are able to add personal accident cover whilst you are working to your policy for an additional premium.

Are my own dogs covered if they get hurt?

No, this policy only covers injury to third-party animals or third-party property.

What happens if an animal in my care damages my property?

This would not be covered under your liability insurance. It may be worth checking whether it is covered under your household insurance. We recommend that you inform your home or contents insurer that you are running a business from home, as it could invalidate your insurance if they aren’t aware of this.

Can I walk my own dogs at the same time as my customers’?

Yes, but the total number of dogs being walked at any one time cannot exceed six

What am I not covered for?

Unfortunately, as every case is different, it is not possible to list everything you are not covered for. If a situation arises and you are unsure whether your policy covers you or not, please call us on 01328 857921 or send an email to info@cliverton.co.uk for guidance.

What is a DWAA animal?

This is any animal which is listed under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act. Owners of these animals will require a license to be able to keep them legally as a pet. Please note that our policy excludes the minding of any animal which appears on the DWAA schedule. If in doubt, please either contact our office on 01328 857921 or check the schedule of animals at www.gov.uk/licence-wild-animal.

I’ve been asked to walk/board a dog which is a banned breed. What should I do?

We may be able to cover this, however, we recommend that you contact us on 01328 857921 so that we can discuss this with you

Do I need a License to run my business?

We would always recommend contacting your local authority or council to check.

Who is Lycetts?

Cliverton is owned by and is a trading division of Lycett Browne-Swinburne & Douglass (Lycetts). Lycetts was founded in 1961 and specialises in insurance for the rural community, offering policies for a wide range of things including farms & estates, equine, rural businesses, historic buildings and financial planning services. To find out more about Lycetts visit www.lycetts.co.uk